RALS and Cerner Issue

We have currently changed our network computer system over to Cerner and have found that randomly when we do glucoses and they move through our RALS system either two zeros or an "AC" will be attached to the FIN # and the results will get hung up in the system until I edit them.  Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to fix it?  Also we are looking at replacing our RALS system with the Cobas IT1000 system.  Is anyone experiencing this issue with the Cobas system?   

Replies to this Topic

Cerner puts "AC" in front of a barcode to tell the system that's what it is. I've configured RALS for a barcode mask to delete the AC should it show up (we use the Roche Inform II). It should work to take out the extra zeros too. It isn't a middleware issue, but rather how Cerner configures the barcode. Check with your barcode people to make sure the barcodes have a consistent configuration and then a barcode mask set-up for your meters in RALS should work. Also check to see if you have different barcode configurations as well. Here we use both a linear and Aztec barcode. I had to set the meters to read only the linear - if I used both, the mask would not work.

Terry Rose

Check your barcode mask settings under device configurations. Are your armbands set up to have have extra characters before the FIN#? Example: The facility I work at has armbands set with B0 then the FIN. 

Cobas IT1000 will allow you to mask the AC at the beginning of the barcode also under configurations.

Hello,

We just went live with Cerner; we have the Accucheck Inform IIs  and have had that very issue.  When our patients are registered, an entire page of patient labels are printed.  With each label, there is the patient demographics including the FIN number and then directly under the FIN number is a barcode.  Our users were scanning that barcode.  After a little research, we discovered that the only labels that should be used to armband a patient are the bottom 3 which have 3 barcodes on it...The only barcode that the Accucheck users should be scanning from that label is the longer bottom one which has the FIN number embedded in it.  The one to the left is the MR# and the one to the right is for meds.  When you scan the other labels other than the bottom three..(the ones that have only one barcode), you will get the internal encounter ID which is extremely hard to cross-reference.  Unless registration places the wrong label on the patient, it reveals that your user scanned a barcode from a page of labels, or a chart...not from the patients' armbands....  hope this helps.

Pete,

I have this issue with Cerner. Cerner uses that AC on a report to see if the nurses scan when they administer meds.

I do not have RALS, I have UniPOC. They wrote the code so that the AC would be clipped off within the interface.

I set up the labels that print on the unit with no AC code since the nurses should not be scanning the labels for medications since they are not attached to the patient.

Let me know if you want more information. Are you a Tenet hospital?

Deanna Bogner

210-297-9657

I agree with the other posts. We have EPIC & RALS, but the situation will be the same regardless of systems. Depending on what your system uses for a patient identifier, if there is a prefix (such as AC), then somewhere along the line it will need to be accounted for and either be truncated or forced to always be applied (ie using linear or Aztec barcode only). Some systems program the truncation in their interface so you may not have to program within your middleware (RALS).

I agree with the other posts. We have EPIC & RALS, but the situation will be the same regardless of systems. Depending on what your system uses for a patient identifier, if there is a prefix (such as AC), then somewhere along the line it will need to be accounted for and either be truncated or forced to always be applied (ie using linear or Aztec barcode only). Some systems program the truncation in their interface so you may not have to program within your middleware (RALS).

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

POCT Listserv